Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Schools
|Independent yet united in spirit and purpose, the international community of Schools of the Sacred Heart believes in educating the whole child, and preparing her to live fully and wisely. At the core of the Sacred Heart education are the Five Goals, principles that express the intentions and hopes of our 200-year tradition.
Newton Country Day School's culture and identity are bound inextricably to the vision set forth in the Goals of Sacred Heart Schools. They awaken and spur our faith, intellect, social action, community building, and personal growth. Whether planning a community service project, tackling an academic challenge, or supporting one another, Newton students and faculty frame their choices and actions in accordance with the Five Goals. When faced with challenges, they give us the language and focus to understand and prevail.
During their years at Newton Country Day School, students measure their actions in the light of the Five Goals, until doing so becomes a habit of being. By the time our students graduate, these principles have become an internal well of wisdom and strength from which they draw throughout their lives.
- Goal I: Schools of the Sacred Heart commit themselves to educate to a personal and active faith in God.
- Goal II: Schools of the Sacred Heart commit themselves to educate to a deep respect for intellectual values.
- Goal III: Schools of the Sacred Heart commit themselves to educate to a social awareness which impels to action.
- Goal IV: Schools of the Sacred Heart commit themselves to educate to the building of community as a Christian value.
- Goal V: Schools of the Sacred Heart commit themselves to educate to personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom.
- Rooted in the love of Jesus Christ, the school promotes a personal relationship with God and fosters the spiritual lives of its members.
- The school seeks to form its students in the attitudes of the heart of Jesus expressed in respect, compassion, forgiveness and generosity.
- The entire school program explores one’s relationship to God, to self, to others, and to all creation.
- Opening themselves to the transforming power of the Spirit of God, members of the school community engage in personal and communal prayer, reflection and action.
- The entire school program affirms that there is meaning and value in life and fosters a sense of hope in the individual and in the school community.
- The school fosters inter-religious acceptance and dialogue by educating to an understanding of and deep respect for the religions of the world.
- The school presents itself to the wider community as a Christ-centered institution and as an expression of the mission of the Society of the Sacred Heart.
- The school develops and implements a curriculum based on the Goals and Criteria, educational research and ongoing evaluation.
- The school provides a rigorous education that incorporates all forms of critical thinking and inspires a life-long love of learning.
- The school program develops aesthetic values and the creative use of the imagination.
- The faculty utilizes a variety of teaching and learning strategies that recognizes the individual needs of the students.
- The school provides ongoing professional development for faculty and staff.
- Members of the school community model and teach ethical and respectful use of technology.
- The school educates to a critical consciousness that leads its total community to analyze and reflect on the values of society and to act for justice.
- The school offers all its members opportunities for direct service and advocacy and instills a life-long commitment to service.
- The school is linked in a reciprocal manner with ministries among people who are poor, marginalized and suffering from injustice.
- In our multicultural world, the school prepares and inspires students to be active, informed, and responsible citizens locally, nationally, and globally.
- The school teaches respect for creation and prepares students to be stewards of the earth’s resources.
- The school implements an ongoing plan for educating both adults and students in the heritage and mission of Sacred Heart education.
- The school promotes a safe and welcoming environment in which each person is valued, cared for and respected.
- Adult members of the school model and teach skills needed to build community and practice clear, direct and open communication.
- The school has programs that teach the principles of nonviolence, conflict resolution and peacemaking.
- The school makes a deliberate effort to recruit students and employ faculty and staff of diverse races, ethnicities and backgrounds.
- The financial aid program effectively supports socioeconomic diversity.
- The school participates actively in the national and international networks of Sacred Heart schools.
- All members of the school community show respect, acceptance and concern for themselves and for others.
- School policies and practices promote self-discipline, responsible decision-making, and accountability.
- Students grow in self-knowledge and develop self-confidence as they learn to deal realistically with their gifts and limitations.
- School programs provide for recognizing, nurturing and exercising leadership in its many forms.
- The school provides opportunities for all members of the community to share their knowledge and gifts with others.
- All members of the school community take personal responsibility for balance in their lives and for their health and well-being.
“NCDS is special because of its goals and the confidence it teaches girls to have. I've learned to be unapologetic and courageous in my strengths and weaknesses, and it has helped me academically and socially.”CLARA Parsons '18